Parasitoid Ecology Lab news
- November: Our paper on the complicated interrelation of arbuscular mycorrhizae, Plantago lanceolata and Melitaea cinxia is out in Ecological Entomoloy PDF
- May: Special issue of Annales Zoologici Fennici edited by S. van Nouhuys and P. Seppä: Ilkka Hanski: The Legacy of a Multifaceted Ecologist. Including two papers Saskya is a co-author of:
Marko Nieminen & Saskya van Nouhuys:
The roles of trophic interactions, competition and landscape in
determining metacommunity structure of a seed-feeding weevil and
its parasitoids. PDF
Singer, M. C., Kuussaari, M., and van Nouhuys, S.:
Attraction of Melitaea cinxia butterflies to previously-attacked hosts:
a likely complement to known Allee effects? PDF
NPR report about it
- May: Yann Bailly is starting an internship working with Saskya and Abhilash on the mechanisms of avoiding the pitfalls of haplodiploid sex determination in the parasitoid wasp Cotesia glomerata
- November: Encyclopedia of Life article: Metapopulation Ecology. PDF
- October: Wolbachia increases the suceptability of a parasitoid to hyperparastism See our paper in Journal of Experimenal Biology: PDF And, a summery in Inside JEB: PDF
- July: A dispersive parasitoid moves over the landscape, and its stucture is independent of the populationstructure of its host. See our paper in Molecular Ecology:
Strong dispersal in a parasitoid wasp overwhelms habitat fragmentation and host population dynamics. Molecular Ecology, doi: 10.1111/mec.13696. Download as a PDF
- June: Population stuructre up to the fourth trophic level. See our paper "Spatial and temporal genetic structure at the fourth trophic level in a fragmented landscape" has also come out in Proceedings of the Royal Society B! Download as a PDF
- April: Our paper "Fatal diseases and parasitoids: from competition to facilitation in a shared host" has come out in Proceedings of the Royal Society B. Download as a PDF. See an article in the Cornell Chronicle about it here
- March: Emma Hakanen has a poster in the University of Helsinki Biosciences spring symposium titled "The influence of mating environment on the sex of parasitoid wasp offspring"
- March: Saskya's review paper "Diversity, population structure and individual behavior of parasitoids as seen using molecular markers." is out. Download as a PDF
- February: Abhilash Nair receives a grant form the Finnish Cultural Foundation to study "Escaping the extinction vortex: adaptation to constraints of sex determination mechanism"
- February: New Masters/Progradu opportunities in our group on insect-plant interactions and host-parasitoid interactions. Click here for more info: Plants or Parasitoids
- August: Abhilash Nair at the European Society for Evolutionary Biology meeting in Lausanne: Spatial genetic structures of strongly interacting species
at different trophic levels in a fragmented landscape
- August: our paper Wolbachia infection in a natural parasitoid wasp population is out in PLOS1. Download a PDF here
- April: Our paper Effectiveness of deterrent marking by a parasitoid wasp: Behavioral and genetic approaches in Behaviour is out. Download a PDF here
- March: Our paper on The puzzle of partial resource used by a parasitoid wasp in American Naturalist is out! Downlaod PDF here
- January: Christelle Couchoux starts as a postdoc in Sussex in Jeremy Field's lab, working on social systems in sweat bees.
- September: Marina Granger-Brown completes her MSc thesis "Intraspecific competitive behaviour in a parasitoid wasp (Hyposoter horticola) foraging for hosts."
- August: Special issue of Opinions in Insect Science, about community ecology, edited by Saskya and Ian Kaplan. See it here
- May: Emma Hakanen starts work on her MSc on "Sex ratio adjustment due to mating environment in the wasp Cotesia melitaearum"
- April: Joanneke Reudler Talsma joins the group as a postdoc working on "Multitrophic interactions through Volatile organic chemicals." (co-supervised with J. K. Holopainen)
- March: Pil Rasmussen completes her MSc thesis "Preference and utilisation of healthy versus mildew infected food in the Glanville fritillary (Melitaea cinxia)."
- December: Christelle Couchoux defends her PhD thesis titled "Intraspecific competition in the foraging behaviour of the parasitoid Hyposoter horticola."
More info here
- December: Christelle Couchoux hosts a minisymposium on "Foraging and dispersal in Hymenoptera." More info here
- October: Abhilash Nair joins the group as a postdoc studying parasitoid population genetics
- September: Katie Montovan joins the faculty at Bennington College. More info here
- July: Katie Montovan defends her PhD thesis in Applied Math at Cornell University. Dissertation title: "Cooperatibe behavior in bees, wasps, and burglars." More info here
- June: Highschool student Esther Stillwell comes to do an internship on plant, herbivore, parasitoid interactions with us in Åland
- June: PhD student Wolfgang Reschka receives two research grants: one from Ålands Lagting and one from Societas pro Fauna et Flora Fennica
Older news: go here