Probably only at Cornell would you find a regular weekly audience of so many undergrads, grad students, postdocs, and others (71 people total, at yesterday’s first meeting) for a weekly research seminar on bird-related topics!
Ornithology Seminar • Fall 2016
Location: Morrison Room, Corson-Mudd Hall
Time: Tuesdays, 5:15-6:30 PM, followed by pizza and social time.
Please register for Bioee7800 or NTRES7800 if you are a participating student (1 credit S/U). Everyone with an interest in ornithology and related topics is welcome (and encouraged) to attend these seminars. For more information, email Irby Lovette at IJL2@cornell.edu.
Tuesday, August 30
- Jessie Barry: Can computers identify birds? Computer vision meets ornithology
- Gerardo Soto: From Remote Sensing to making laws: Bird conservation in the remnant South-American temperate forest
Tuesday, September 6
- Frank La Sorte: Projected implications of global change for migratory bird populations wintering in Central America
- Daniela Hedwig: Acoustic structure and contextual use of gorilla close distance vocalizations – a syntactic approach
Tuesday, September 13
- Mya Thompson: Harnessing the web to help teach ornithology: Bird Academy and beyond
- Camila Gomez: Behavioral and evolutionary mechanisms underlying the long-distance migrations of birds
Tuesday, September 20
- Sahas Barve: Habitat loss in Indian montane birds: an investigation at the local and landscape level.
- Rose Swift: From North to South: tracking birds across the hemisphere
Tuesday, September 27
- Mickey Pardo: Extensive vocal recognition in a group-living bird: acorn woodpeckers know to which social group outsiders belong
- J. McNeil: Golden-winged Warbler breeding ecology in managed habitats across its range
Tuesday, October 4
- Adriaan Dokter: Radaring on birds and weather: towards a continental perspective on the movements of migratory birds
- Petra Deane-Coe: Evidence of selection on standing variation during rapid adaptation
Tuesday, October 11: No meeting (Cornell Fall Break)
Tuesday, October 18
- Gavin Leighton: Sociality’s effect on extinction and diversification across the avian tree
Tuesday, October 25
- Eliot Miller: Understanding the dominance hierarchy of North American feeder birds
- Joe Welklin: Implications of social interactions on sexual selection in Red-backed Fairy-wrens
Tuesday, November 1
- Rusty Ligon: Evolution of courtship display, ornamental colors, and auditory communication in the Birds of Paradise.
- Conor Taff: Physiological & behavioral responses to unpredictable acute stressors in Tree Swallows.
Tuesday, November 8
- Jen Walsh: Patterns of hybridization between two tidal marsh sparrows
- Stepfanie Aguillon: Genomics in the Great Plains: using genomics to characterize hybridization in the northern flicker
Tuesday, November 15
- Josh LaPergola: Preliminary parentage results on a colonial, Neotropical woodpecker
- Lily Twining: Aquatic insects provide a high quality fatty acid subsidy to a riparian insectivore
Tuesday, November 22: No meeting (Thanksgiving week
Tuesday, November 29
- Leslie Thorne: title TBD, but something on seabirds
- Leo Campagna: The genetic basis of reproductive isolation in an avian radiation
Tuesday, December 6: special guest Peter Marra, Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center